Shop Superintendent / Quality Control
Shop Superintendent use their management skills, knowledge, experience and equipment to manage crews to perform tasks such as fabrication of both structural and miscellaneous steel for commercial and industrial buildings. Duties include managing shop crews to perform fabrication tasks including tasks such as rigging, bolting and welding. The safe performance of these duties are both job related and consistent with business necessity for Piedmont Metal Products, Inc. This position is classified as safety critical. The work can be strenuous. Work involves climbing, bending squatting, sitting, standing, and heavy lifting. Work may be in a noisy environment due to working with or around air-operated tools, heavy lifting machinery, compressors and welding machines. No cell phone usage or texting is allowed during the performance of this task unless reporting an accident / incident to supervision or safety. The shop superintendent’s position’s primary role is to manage the shop crew in the fabrication operations of Piedmont Metal Products.
Qualifications, Experience and Knowledge Required:
- Ability to manage 10 to15 employees in three shops
- Ability to plan and assign work and follow up on safety, quality and productivity of the crew
- Ability to interface with corporate safety regarding company & project safety goals / requirements
- Ability to interface with company project management regarding project timelines & goals
- Ability to read and understand project fabrication drawings, specifications, erection drawings and dimensions
- Ability to use measuring equipment
- Ability to work with and calibrate fabrication equipment including welding equipment, tapes and squares
- Must be proficient in stick and MIG welding for at least 4G and AWS qualified for visual inspections
- Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) and / or ASNT NDT Level 2 credentials a plus
- Ability to train other shop crew members on proper safety requirements & craft technique and skills
- Ability and training on operation of overhead cranes and forklift equipment
- Knowledge and ability for fabrication including cutting, welding, rigging and hoisting for the fabrication of structural and miscellaneous steel
- Review completed drawings and work for errors, non-conformance and troubleshoot issues identified
- Perform in process inspections and final inspections of fabricated products and complete necessary inspection reports and documentation
- Meet with management personnel regarding schedule and review details.
- Maintain safety / quality standards for installed work
- Must be able to understand and follow Company American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) Code of Standard Practice and procedures
- Understand and comply with the company safety & quality management system
- Safety. Workers must comply with all OSHA, Company safety requirements and training.
- Williams Industries, Inc. and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Lisa Bent
- Piedmont Metal Products
- Bedford, VA
- Full Time